[Koha] Koha 2.2.0RC4 has been released
paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Dec 9 00:09:38 NZDT 2004
PLEASE READ THE 2.2.0RC3 => 2.2.0RC4 DIFFS.
There are really many :
3 critical bugs, 17 minor bugs fixed
4 major and 13 minor improvements
Koha is the 1st Open-Source Integrated Library System.
Released at first in New zealand, in 2000 januaray, it is maintained by
a team of volunteers from around the globe, the Koha system is a full
catalogue, opac, circulation and acquisitions system.
Koha 2.2 is more than 247 000 lines of code, developped by more than 30
differents developpers (excluding translators).
With the 2.2 version, Koha is now a mature product, with a lot of nice
features. It's used in more than 50 libraries, from all kinds (public,
schools, search, religious...), of all size (from 1 to 8 branches, from
1000 to 300 000 items).
* This version is in the stable tree of Koha, but still evaluated as
"Release Candidate". A few bugs are still known or have to be found,
maybe by you. But it's stable enough to be used in production.
* This version is only available in ENGLISH and FRENCH. Many languages
to come. Spanish (Argentina) is also available. May be a little buggy
* Biblio frameworks :
- In UNIMARC - french. Frameworks are defined and can be set up during
installation for : old documents, cartographies, electronic documents,
microfilms, monographies, serials, films and images, "tire à part"
- In English, only a default framework is provided. If you define
specific frameworks, mail paul _at_ koha-fr.org or a koha mailing list
to know how to add them to official release.
* the librarian interface is tested only with mozilla/firefox. Should
work (partially) with IE. OPAC should work fine with any navigator.
* Any 2.1.x install must be uninstalled before installing 2.2.0 No
update is provided for 2.1.0.
Diff 2.2RC3 => 2.2RC4
1 CRITICAL bug in acquisition (another one...) : when MARC=ON, and an
order line is created from an existing biblio (to buy another item), the
MARC biblio is lost and replaced by the non marc one (that has a lot
less informations...). To solve the problem, the biblio can no more be
modified after the order has been placed. Less feature, but more
reliable ! (not simple solution to solve this problem. Would imply to
rewrite the MARC biblio from the non marc datas, and no API is provided
for this yet)
2 CRITICAL bugfix in Biblio.pm, removing &branches declaration (was due
to an untested cvs rollback, opac-search.pl was crashing)
3 CRITICAL bugfix in Biblio.pm when MARC=OFF. subjects were stored and
immediatly deleted. And not stored correctly in MARC part of the biblio.
(thanks to Waylon Robertson)
1 bugfix in updatedatabase (auth_header creation table). Don't affect
previous install of 2.2, only upgrades 2.0 => 2.2
2 reading rec : Fixing link to toggle between full and limited display
3 bugfix for moremember.pl that no longer outputed item type for issues
4 defaulting actual cost to estimated cost (was 0 by default)
5 bugfix : in biblio search, - and other signs where not properly
managed. Leroy-Beaulieu could not be found
6 the popup of the 210c plugin closes when a collection is choosed
7 bugfix : could not select a biblio in subscription creation if the
book was not for loan
8 minor fixes in spelling in subscription
9 adding acquisition in default userflags. This flag can be set for
librarians that have access to acquisition
10 in subscription enddate calculation, bugfix when subscription based
on number of issues (worked when based on subscription length)
11 in subscription next issue date calculation, bugfix when subscription
frequency is 1/quarter.
12 datelastseen is updated when the book is returned
13 moredetail.pl shows incorrect date, incorrectly formatted (bug #689)
14 DuplicateFinder has been disabled : sometimes goes into a looonnnggg
15 when a query returns only one result, adding it to basket did not work.
16 deletion of a suggestion was buggy. Now fixed
17 for installation of Koha under Windows there is a bug with subject
splitting. Now fixed. (thanks to Waylon Robertson)
1 a lot in book shelves
2 Submitting with no barcode in issues should clear for next patron (bug
3 screen added to see late issues from a given bookseller
4 Koha should now work under mod_perl (Release Manager don't use
mod_perl. fixes comes from A. Tarallo, Argentina, that ensure Koha works
fine with mod_perl with the patches applied)
1 show also item tags into marc list of fields (in librarian search
2 email sent basket : the sender can give it's name, in case the basket
is sent to a friend, not to itself
3 removing useless string in isbd view
4 cataloguing, in isbnsearch, after searching a title/ISBN, the
librarian can choose the framework (+ it's a cataloguing screen, not an
5 serials : in issues management, the waited/late issues bloc is before
the collection state bloc.
6 serials : the intranet note has been removed, it's useless
7 after an authority is added/modified, go to this fresh authority
(instead of authority-home)
8 search option in auth-top
9 in OPAC, the itemcallnumber search is a "start by" search (was a contains)
10 opac note is defaulted to '' (was 0, that means nothing)
11 adding blank to relshiploop (altrelationship) loop (Bug ???)
12 when deleting an itemtype, don't check issuingrules, but delete them too
13 For MARC=OFF installation, Waylon submitted a script to rebuild MARC
part of the catalogue. It's in misc/updatemarc_subjects.pl (thanks to
Diff 2.2RC2 => 2.2RC3
* CRITICAL bug in acquisition : biblio badly stored in MARC part of
Koha, deleting another biblio...
* CRITICAL problem : the duplicate finder (when adding a biblio) has
performances problems under certains circumstances.
* bug #862 fixed : Upgrade does not work (from 2.2RC1 to 2.2RC2)
* bugfix in acquisition, when a line is modified, aqorderbreakdown was
duplicated. (Seems it was a mysql return value depending on mysql version)
* bugfix in setting user permissions (they were stored, but not shown
* bugfix in translation error for basket sent in OPAC
* bugfix in 225a plugin (editor chooser)
* adding itemcallnumber entry in systempreferences during install
* error in biblio detail showing when MARC=ON (bug from RC2, did not
* bug in acceptorreject OPAC suggestion (bug from RC2, did not exist before)
* Not really a bug but : stopword must not be empty. If it's empty, the
* During install, the user can load french and english stopwords if he want.
* French librarian interface seems OK
* addbook (1st page when MARC=ON) is a catalogue screen, not an
* The barcode is shown in the list of books issued by a borrower in
Diff 2.2RC1 => 2.2RC2
* bugfix for import in reservoir : title and isbn where not extracted.
* bugfix in OPAC : it was possible to reserve books that where "notforloan"
* bugfix in circulation : no warning when a reserve was made on a book
that you try to issue to someone else.
* bugfix & improvement for catalogue management behaviour when MARC=OFF
* bugfix in bookshelves (in CVS, probably not in official tar.gz)
* bugfix in online help (in CVS, probably not in official tar.gz)
* Download the package
* tar xvfz koha-version.tar.gz
* cd koha-version
* READ and FOLLOW the instructions
READING what is on screen during installation is VERY important. Some
decisions you make during install stage are very hard to reproduce after.
UPGRADE from previous 2.0.0preX or RCx version
* Download the package
* tar xvfz koha-version.tar.gz
* cd koha-version
* Follow the instructions
UPGRADE from previous 1.2.x version :
UPGRADE TO A 2.0.0 version before upgrading
UPGRADE from a 2.1.x version is NOT AVAILABLE. Don't install 2.2 on a
2.1.x test database. A lot of DB changes have been done since 2.1.x &
cannot be handled by the DB updater.
Koha 2.2 has, of course, all the previous features from Koha
(acquisition, cataloguing, circulation, members modules, OPAC, complete
MARC support...) plus the following new ones :
* (almost) complete rewrite of librarian GUI : now Koha uses CSS, and is
easier to use. However, users of Koha 2.0.0 won't be lost, as the
general organisation of the product has not changed.
* Online Help : an online help is available everywhere in the librarian
interface. It's complete in the parameters section of Koha and for new
features. It will be completed for the rest of the product.
* Better LDAP suport : Koha 2.2 can be "connected" to a LDAP server and
get all borrower informations from there (including borrower category
where applicable). However, to avoid problems for libraries without LDAP
server, the LDAP features have been stored in
modules/C4/Auth_with_ldap.pm file. The standard Auth.pm don't use it. If
you want LDAP, just perldoc Auth_with_ldap.pm and manually tune your
Auth package !
* suggestion : borrowers can suggest items to buy in OPAC. Then, the
librarian can manage (accept or refuse) and order them.
* possibility to close a basket, he can't be modified then
* order a basket by publisher or by bookfund/publisher
* search order history
* Cataloguing frameworks : you can define as many frameworks as you
want. A framework describes how a material is catalogued (which fields,
subfields, which constraints on them...)
* MARC authorities : Koha now supports authorities in MARC. You can
define the MARC structure for authorities like for biblios.
* New contraints can be set for subfields :
- subfield is hidden : appears in MARC editor, but not in OPAC.
- subfield is an URL : the field can be cliqued
- related fields : a search made on a subfield also uses other
subfields automatically. Using this feature, a search on "title" can
search title, but also subtitle, uniform title,...
* Item location can now be done on 3 levels : the branch, the location
(room), the callnumber.
* The callnumber can now be calculated from the LC, the dewey, or be
freely (and manually) entered.
* Duplicate finder : this powerful feature help your cataloguers
avoiding duplicate biblios.
* ISBD view : in librarian interface as well as in OPAC biblios can be
shown in standard (default) presentation, in MARC (human readable) or
ISBD. The ISBD view can be tuned by the librarian team.
Serial cataloguing :
Koha 2.2 manage serial subscriptions and issuing of those subscriptions.
Catalogue search :
* Search in OPAC and librarian interface has been improved. They now are
exactly the same.
* Spelling suggestion : before sending a request, the user can ask for
spelling suggestion. This shows other forms of words entered that would
* The user can select the order of the results
* New issuing rules : Issuing can be set for branch / borrower type /
item category, by number of days and number of items available.
* "joker" issuing rules : the library can set issuing rules for "any
branch" or "any borrower type", or "any item category".
Both issuing rules are cumulative : a library can set issuing rules to
10 books, 5 CD, but 12 total (books or CD).
In Koha 2.2, koha has :
* baskets. A basket can be printed or sent by mail to the borrower
* virtual shelves : a virtual shelf can be created and filled by any
logged borrower. A given virtual shelf can be private or public. Or even
* language chooser : the borrower can change the language on the fly.
The default language being still choosen by the library
Barcode printing :
A new module has been added to the parameters section : barcode
printing. It requires the PDF::Api2 Perl package and can print barcode on
* bug with biblio management for libraries with MARC=OFF systempreference
* modifying an order seems to duplicate the order line
* french OPAC is OK, french librarian interface seems to be a little buggy.
The future of Koha is being discussed on mailing lists and on koha wiki
Consultant indépendant en logiciels libres
responsable francophone de koha (SIGB libre http://www.koha-fr.org)
More information about the Koha