[Koha] z3950 and marc_breeding

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Sat Dec 4 04:07:59 NZDT 2004

Marco Vaninetti a écrit :

>The encoding I use  is UNIMARC, so I'm asking if someone of the french koha
>users can post the parameters of a french z3950 server and a title of a book
>that I can find in it,  just to test my Koha configuration.

Ok for your encoding.
But are your biblio marc structure also in UNIMARC (= means you have all
labels in french)
Otherwise, here's what happends :
* Koha retrieves a biblio from your z3950 server
* He tries to find isbn & title & author. BUT in MARC21, title is in
245, and in UNIMARC, it's in 200 !!! (fortunatly, isbn is in the same field)

So, the "title" you see is the "title" in a MARC21 tag. And the
effective title is in the UNIMARC one !!!

The "encoding" is just for character encoding ( managemenet of é, à ...)
: some servers provide UNIMARC biblios, but with a MARC21 encoding (i
don't know if there is MARC21 servers that provides biblios with an
UNIMARC encoding)

It also means you CANNOT retrieve a MARC biblio from a server with a
different MARC flavour than yours : technically, it's there, but Koha
can do nothing with it.
You can be angry, but not against Koha team : against ppl that defined 2
technically-same-but-functionnaly-completly-different "standards"...

--
Paul POULAIN