[Koha] opac add-on

Owen Leonard oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Mon Nov 8 10:04:33 NZDT 2004

> here is an example

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/073571228x/qid%3D1099770
587/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-8947619-9086523

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861004494/qid%3D1099770
864/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-8947619-9086523

> the isbn# folows the /ASIN/ in the url
> note that the next pointer /qid%xxx... has changed.
>
> simply changing the field after /ASIN/ to the isbn
> will not give you the correct result.

If I understand you correctly, the root of your problem is
that all the stuff *after* the ISBN doesn't matter at all.
It's all session stuff.  All you need is this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/073571228x/

...in order to pull up an Amazon record.  Amazon adds all the
rest.  So we make the link in the template like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/<!-- TMPL_VAR
NAME="isbn" -->

It should work fine.

> 3. a computer driven enter or cr.

This is the part that's not possible.  You can't simulate user
input like that on a separate site.  And if we're just talking
about pulling up an Amazon record from an ISBN, we don't have
to.

One concern, however, is how far to trust Amazon to always
have details on the item in your catalog.  That's where a
solution like Chris' has advantages--you're sucking down the
information into your own database, so you know whether
there's extended information to display.

  -- Owen