[Koha] MARC Collector

Baljkas Family baljkas at mts.net
Tue Sep 21 10:00:05 NZST 2004

Monday, September 20, 2004    16:50 CDT

¡Hola Marco!

Well, I read through their website and I couldn't find any statement about the cost. Geez, that's annoying: I am certainly no businessperson, but is it really so illogical to think that posting the price clearly and what to do about ordering is unexpected?! Argh.

Anyway, Marco, from what I can tell, you are meant to install the program first and then send for the License Key. If you ftp'd it and read the ReadMe file, you'd find that info at the end of it (I won't get started on why that isn't clearly delineated at the end of the page on the product).

As for waiting for their answer, I have learned from experience that having a website seems to make certain folk rather haughty. Depending on how long ago you wrote though, you may want to send a second email indicating this is urgent for you.

At a cost of $350 US and with the possibility that a string of ISBNs will return poor records anyway, I would still favour what I was taught -- and what Brooke (ave atque salve, amica!) recently reaffirmed the usefulness of -- namely searching and verifying records individually.

This is not nearly as awful a process as non-cataloguers imagine. Panning through garbage records on the other hand, o the stories I could tell you ...

Hope this helps a little bit.

Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte