[Koha] Re: Questions about Koha

Joshua Ferraro jmf at kados.org
Sun Sep 19 09:16:21 NZST 2004

Hi Kanwal,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean: do you need help implementing a
Z39.50 server so that you can share your bibliographic data with
others via Z39.50? Or are you trying to download records from other
Z39.50 servers to avoid having to completely build your own MARC records?

So the Z39.50 Server for Koha is in koha/z3950/server/zed-koha-server.pl.
If you need help tweaking it for your system I can help (I wrote it).

If you need help downloading records from _other_ Z3950 servers (i.e.,
you need to find addresses to use for Koha's Z39.50 client), here
is the best list I know of:

http://www.indexdata.dk/targettest/

(BTW: Indexdata designed SimpleServer which is the Perl module that
Koha's Z39.50 server is built with, which is built with Yaz which
is the Perl module that Koha's Z39.50 cleint is built with.) ;-)

If you want to delve into the world of Z39.50 pretty much everything
you need is linked to from LOC's Z39.50 gateway:

http://www.loc.gov/z3950/gateway.html

Good luck ... and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Joshua