[Koha] Re: Questions about Koha

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Thu Sep 16 23:23:03 NZST 2004

Salvete!

I would once again like to stress that Z39.50 is a nice place to visit,
but I wouldn't want to live there. It's kind of like that old game show
with the curtains. You really should look at the records you end up
with, which to me means that you may as well find the one most suited to
your needs by hand in the first place.

Point number 2 - since you're automating a rather small collection, I
would certainly recommend Koha. I've entered about 2600 bibliographic
records and about 1900 patron records. Phew! I have about 7,000
bibliographic or so to go. I've been working at automating since about
last February.

Point number 3 - Library of Congress stinks for records for Kid's Stuff.
I use Access Pennsylvania or Maine Infonet or in a real pinch Ohio Link.
All of these can be found on the Free MARC page brought to you by SKCLS.

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/sckls/sysserv/tutorials/marc/freemarc.html

If you type "Free MARC" into google, that will get you there, too. The
great thing about that page is that they give you instructions on how to
get the records themselves.

Watch for redundant tags with Access Pennsylvania. Doesn't happen often,
but it does happen.

It is really, really worth it. Oooooh so much better than cards.

Brooke @ Hinsdale MA