[Koha] Koha's call number vs. our library's call number - UNIMARC-MARC21 follow-up

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Aug 5 23:50:55 NZST 2004

Steven F. Baljkas wrote:

>Friday, July 9, 2004     17:39 CDT
>
>Salut Paul,
>
>Thanks very much for the quick response. Grand merci pour ta réponse
>
>>From what I read in IFLA's standards for UNIMARC, the 995 tag would be
>comparable to any of the 9xx tags in MARC21. That is, it's free (like beer
>or speech ;-) ) to use as system developpers/local librarians decide.
>
>J'ai feuilleté la page à
>http://www.adbdp.asso.fr/outils/infogestion/r995.htm  et si j'ai bien
>compris, le 995 dont les bibliothèques française se servent est comme le 852
>de MARC21 (et dans la structure et dans les données y attachées).
>I skimmed the page you sent the link for and if I understood correctly, the
>995 used by French libraries is like the MARC21 852 tag both in structure
>and data coded there.
>
>The question remains though -- I think this was posed months ago now, but I
>don't remember seeing a response anywhere -- will there be/is there a *Koha
>MARC field* for the *call number used* ("itemcallnumber")?
>Donc cette question posée il y a quelques mois sans réponse évidente se
>présente encore : est-ce qu'il y a ou bien est-ce qu'il y aura *un seul
>champ de donnés MARC en Koha qui correspond au numéro de classification*
>(« itemcallnumber »)?
>
>This could be a simple question of adopting a default standard which users
>could change if they desired. But it would be useful to have *one* MARC
>field that has the function of *call number used*. Many systems use/d tag
>090 (as this was LC's itemcallnumber used for years) and many others make
>use of 852 or a 9xx tag. For simplicity sake, one could certainly use the
>French standard of 995 since that tag is not prescribed in MARC21.
>A défaut de tous les choix possibles -- dont les bibliothèques individuelles
>pourraient changer selon leurs goûts -- ce serait très utile pour les
>bibliothécaires et les bibliotechniciens d'avoir *un* champ MARC qui a
>d'abord la fonction du *numéro de classification utilisé*. Il y a plusieurs
>systèmes intégrés pour les bibliothèques qui utilisent/utilisaient le 090 --
>car ceci était pour plusieurs années la norme LC utilisée pour «
>itemcallnumber » -- et d'autres qui utilisent le 852 ou bien un des 9xx.
>Pour la simplicité et l'unité de communauté Koha on peut très bien adopter
>le 995 utilisé en France car ce champ n'est pas prescrit en MARC21.
>
>Will there be a decision on this by 2.2 or is this going to be left open?
>Est-ce qu'il y aura une décision par/avant l'apparence de 2.2 ou est-ce que
>l'on laisserait ainsi?
>
>Merci en avance. TIA

(late answer...)
In fact, you mix 2 differents things : the classification and the
callnumber.
The callnumber helps finding the book physically, in a shelf.
The classification helps finding the book logically, in the database.

Most libraries use as callnumber the same system as the classification.
But not all.
So, the callnumber is unique, while a given biblio can be classified in
X differents classifications (dewey, LoC...) AND more than once for a
given classification (2 dewey codes)

In Koha 2.2, you will have X classifications (dewey, LoC or Other) and 1
callnumber. The callnumber being by default the same as dewey, LoC,
other or empty (defined in systempreferences)

HTH.

--
Paul POULAIN