[Koha] Relationship between the MARC tables and the non-MARC ones:

Hans Henderson hans at shrewsbury.ac.th
Thu Jul 8 19:47:44 NZST 2004

I know the following is complicated, but I've tried to be as clear
with my questions as my limited knowledge allows.

As much as possible, I want to ensure that changes I make to the
MARC-relevant data after it's all stored in Koha will make
it back into any MARC records later exported, assuming the export
functions are fixed in future revisions. I'm downloading MARC records
with MARCedit and BookWhere, and preparing them in .mrc files to
later import into the Breeding Farm.

Do all the MARC fields existing in my records need to be linked to
the non-MARC fields correctly first?

Are all the data from the MARC records stored in the MARC tables "as
is", even for those fields that have a -1 in the links
pages? In other words, please confirm that "-1" just means that they
don't display on the data-entry screens.

What if I make changes to these mappings after the import into the
Breeding Farm, but before Biblios and Biblioitems have
been created?

Please confirm that importing into the Breeding Farm doesn't create
any records in the Biblio or Biblioitems tables.

And what needs to be done if changes in the links are made after
Biblios and Biblioitems have been created?

In either case (is the answer the same or different between the
two?), will the data stored in the non-MARC fields then get
copied to the MARC fields? Will the data in the MARC fields that used
to be linked to the non-MARC fields still be in those
MARC fields? In other words, does switching a link *move* or *copy*
the data between the MARC fields?

Related question - if I later find more accurate/complete MARC
records for existing biblio/biblioitems, import them into my
Breeding Farm, choosing "overwrite" when Koha lets me know I already
have that ISBN - Can I then update the relevant MARC
fields for the already existing biblio/biblioitem records from the
data from that new Breeding Farm record? Or do I need to
make changes to existing records manually?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hans