[Koha] Self-introduction to the list, and parameter settings questions

Hans Henderson hans at shrewsbury.ac.th
Thu Jul 8 19:40:43 NZST 2004

Greetings to the list. I've been lurking for a while and browsing the
archives, I've downloaded and successfully installed Koha on Windows
(congratulations on an excellent product!), and I'm now setting up my
parameters in preparation for importing user and biblio data.

I am responsible for tracking various resources in a private primary
school in Thailand. Our main ("real") library is running Alice, but
they didn't want to take on extra work, and my management didn't want
to spring for extra licensing. Koha is total overkill for our needs,
but I didn't find anything else that I thought of good quality for
free. I'm starting off with guided readers and related resources, but
we plan to eventually track all kinds of teachers' resources and
possibly even equipment inventory management.

I am an experienced user back to DOS v3, some familiarity with
database and networking concepts, but little *nix knowledge and no
library tech other than what I've been soaking up from you guys <g>.

OK, here goes, first questions:

I'm not planning on using the budgeting/acquisition feature now, but
will later - should I set koha to "Simple" now and
change it later?

What is the maximum number of renewals? (I would like to set "no
limit")

What is the maximum number of reserves? (ditto)

What is the maximum enrollment period length? (ditto)

How does one set up a network printer on Windows?

When doing my MARC-Koha links (I'm sure I'll have a lot more
questions on this later <g>), do you really have to do the
mappings in *both* directions via "Links Koha-MARC DB" *and* "MARC
tag structure"?

Thanks in advance, and more to come shortly!

Hans