[Koha] Question about bulkmarcimport.pl

Gregory Garretson gregory at bu.edu
Tue May 11 10:46:32 NZST 2004

Hello, all,

I'm slowly getting my head around how 2.0 works, but I keep running into
things that stump me. I hope someone can help. I am trying to import
MARC records into the database; following Stephen Hedges' good advice,
I've used bulkmarcimport.pl to import them. This is totally successful
as far as the biblio information is concerned. However, I'm having a
problem with holdings information.

The problem is that, apparently, although each time the script
(bulkmarcimport.pl) inputs a record, it creates *two* items. Well,
actually it inserts only one entry into the 'items' table, as should be,
but two sets of entries into the 'marc_subfield_table' corresponding to
the holdings tags I've used. Here's an example:

mysql> select subfieldid, bibid, tag, tagorder, subfieldcode,
subfieldvalue from marc_subfield_table where bibid=2;
+------------+-------+-----+----------+--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| subfieldid | bibid | tag | tagorder | subfieldcode |
subfieldvalue                                                   |
+------------+-------+-----+----------+--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
|        177 |     2 | 300 |        9 | f            |
BOOK                                                            |
|        176 |     2 | 260 |        8 | c            |
1987                                                            |
|        175 |     2 | 245 |        7 | a            | Reading and
Writing Disorders in Different Orthographic Systems |
|         14 |     2 | 952 |        6 | b            |
1                                                               |
|         15 |     2 | 952 |        6 | d            |
1                                                               |
|        174 |     2 | 100 |        6 | a            | Aaron, P.G.
(Ed.)                                               |
|         18 |     2 | 952 |        8 | b            |
1                                                               |
|         19 |     2 | 952 |        8 | d            |
1                                                               |
|         20 |     2 | 952 |        8 | u            |
1                                                               |
|        178 |     2 | 852 |       14 | k            |
LB1050.5.N33                                                    |
|        179 |     2 | 090 |       15 | c            |
2                                                               |
|        180 |     2 | 090 |       15 | d            |
2                                                               |
+------------+-------+-----+----------+--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

The result is that a catalog search shows each biblio having two items,
(one with an itemnumber, and one without, I think).

Unless someone else has noticed a problem with this script, I figure
that I'm inputting my holdings information wrong. I've mapped tag 852 k
(my call number) onto 'biblioitems.classification', and 952 b and d onto
'items.homebranch' and 'items.holdingbranch', respectively. (These last
two each have a value of "1", the intent being to record that we have
one copy in our main library.)

Thanks,
Gregory Garretson
linguist-turned-bewildered-librarian