[Koha] Koha in Linux Festival

Steve/Ollie/Steven F. Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Fri May 7 11:40:40 NZST 2004

Thursday, May 6, 2004    18:27 CDT

Hi Zeki, MJR, etal.,

Regarding your requests, Zeki --
> > 3. If possible some sample marc data to import.
>
> This should be downloadable from a MARC web search interface. I
> believe there is one on the www.LOC.gov site.

Yes, MJ, you're right. They're are search tools available, the basic and guided search catalogs are off of
URL <http://catalog.loc.gov/> which works well for a small set of searches but not practicably with large conversion projects (unless you want to go real SLOW and/or have to check/correct each LC record for local reasons).

Before you try dealing with setting Koha to deal with LC you might want to read through the technical info --
URL <http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/lcserver.html> -- which will give you what you need to know for Z39.50 configuration.

If you'd like, Zeki, I could try to find some Turkish language records in Canada's National Library (NLC-BNC) database Amicus (a little more user-friendly, BTW). I'm pretty sure we can specify language targets, and I know we can batch records if you prefer. Also, if there are specific types of book or non-book materials that you'd like for your sample (theses, technical papers, etc.), give me a shout off-listserv and I'll be glad to help gather whatever you want (got lots of free time now).

Otherwise, good luck with your conference presentation!

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte