[Koha] Re: Koha Installation - problems with MySql.socket

Roger Horne roger at hrothgar.co.uk
Tue May 4 08:57:18 NZST 2004

On Mon 03 May, Solomon Mutai wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new in the field and am really interested in this list. To introduce
> myself, I am a systems librarian in Moi University, Kenya. Most of the
> institutions heve not automated their libraries.
>
> I was installing Koha and I just landed in a problem with mysql.socket. It
> keeps disappearing from where it ought to be: /var/lib/mysql/
>
> I am using SuSe Linux version 9.0; could someone tell me how to protect this? I
> have tried all means but I keep on loosing it and therefore have not managed to

The first version of Linux I used was Red Hat. I was not happy with it or
the next version I tried (Mandake). I then bought Suse 9 which was
*immeasurably* better in my view. YAST, the Suse system of loading software,
seemed to me to be so much better than any of the other systems (except
Debian which I have not tried). And the inclusion of printed manuals was an
advantage.

But so far as MySQL is concerned it just does not work. I have tried loading
it, and reloading it, and I get the same sort of symptom that you refer to
(save that I do not get the socket at all).

The cure so far as I was concerned was not to use YAST but to go to the
MySQL site and download a RPM file and to install that according to the
instructions in the online manual: the socket appeared in the appropriate
file.

I asked Suse and they said that this was not something covered by their
support program and that I was on my own. Since they are trying to suggest
that they are the real replacement for MS this seems to me to be a bit
stupid, quite apart from presumably being a bug.

Roger
--
Roger Horne, 11 New Square, Lincoln's Inn, London WC2A 3QB
mailto:roger at hrothgar.co.uk
http://hrothgar.co.uk/YAWS/