[Koha] Export MARC from Koha

Steven F. Baljkas baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 23 08:19:19 NZST 2004

Thursday, April 22, 2004    15:14 CDT

Hi, MJ, Rachel, et al.

Just so no one feels confused, there really aren't any MARC21 standards for
patron information as such.

Different ILS will try to export borrowers' records (at least current items
on loan), but how another system, say Koha, can capture these is something
I've never seen an explanation for and have quite frankly wondered about for
years.

I don't know what is meant exactly by 'financial records' but I am assuming
that that is a euphemism for fines. Same as paragraph above.

If one wanted to get into this with MARC21, one could look at using an 852
tag and/or some combination of 9xx tags to trap that information, and/or to
create some kind of faux-MARC patron record (perhaps basing it not on the
MARC21 Bibliographic Descriptive standards we are always referring to,
albeit elliptically, but rather the Community standards that would allow us
to define and describe people, not as resources as intended but as patrons).

I don't know how you can achieve the transfer of information out of the
whole gamut of different systems out there, but if you're gonna try it, I
wouldn't worry about doing it with MARC. At least not right now.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large