[Koha] Export MARC from Koha

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Thu Apr 22 17:13:10 NZST 2004

HI

> There are ILS that do export borrower data, although I kinda doubt that their
> users intend for them to do so.

Ahh that does sound bad - I had assumed it was to take data from one ILS to
another, not accidentally getting them with a "cross catalogue" function or
what have you.

> Now, I don't know how the privacy laws are shaping up in New Zealand, but I know
> there would be legal issues in Canada, especially if an academic or public
> library accidentally shared data in the way that Doc's or the U of California's
> systems (accidentally) did. In fact, the issue would be one of actionable breach
> of various privacy acts, something most library administrators would wisely want
> to avoid.

Yup same here

> It might be useful, though, if that data could be transferred over for migration
> purposes but remained visible ONLY for inside use.

Yes definitly - I wasn't thinking  it would go *in* the MARC stuff, that just
sounds scarey

Cheers
Rachel

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
WEBMISTRESS                          ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz              New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org