[Koha] 2.0 roadmap, was: uninstalling

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Apr 16 02:57:58 NZST 2004

On 2004-04-15 11:41:55 +0100 Roger Horne <roger at hrothgar.co.uk> wrote:

> to use two addresses, eg opac and library, listening on different
> ports, eg

These can be the same address, maybe the same port (not sure that I've
tried that one) and even an existing name-based virtual host. Probably
the wording isn't very good yet.

> give pointers at that point to where people should look for further
> documentation, eg http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/

OK, noted. I'll add that to the default config file produced.

> perplex a linux guru (such as the virtually non-existent instructions
> for
> the z* daemon which I have yet to get running here

Some call me a guru and the z*daemon defeated me last time out. I will
try again soon.

> And while I am grumbling, I do think that Koha gives the impression in
> some respects of being amateurish and unfinished. (I know that one
> should
> not look a gift horse in the mouth but ...)

Well, it's a .0 release and I don't think we're any worse than most
software I've had to deal with. Feel free to gaze and tell me just
which teeth look rotten. The challenge for me is whether I can do well
enough with the next releases to polish 2.0.x into something which
seems better and learn things so that 2.2.0 is better. I'm just
writing my "roadmap". Keywords: free software, accessable,
interoperable, portable, usable, stable.

2.0 DRAFT ROADMAP
-----------------

Month - aims

May - find and kill as many packaging and installation bugs as
possible; see if we can get CVS commits under control, else junk CVS;
ensure first wave of docs (installation, configuration) are
up-to-date; release.

June - replace systems that are really desirable (backport MARC
searching from 2.1? has z*daemon really been fixed? is anyone working
on the biblio entry screens in 2.1?); remove broken parts (is full
acquisitions really broken or just buggy?); make sure second wave of
docs (end-user help) are up-to-date; release.

July - see what strong user requests we've got and hopefully act on
them, or at least make sure 2.1 addresses them; release if there's
updates.

August-September - ensure that fixes we've made have been carried
forwards to 2.1; enter maintenance period: only release new version
for security or data loss.

October - 2.2 should be out, but be prepared for another 3 months just
in case.

I'd appreciate comments and offers of help with the above. Does the
plan look reasonable?

Anyone know where the koha wiki went?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef at jabber.at