[Koha] newbie questions

Mike Richardson mike at remc1.k12.mi.us
Fri Apr 9 02:02:52 NZST 2004

>Hi, Mike -
>
>Mike Richardson said:
>>  We are looking at putting in a new library automation system, but the
>>  boss wants to know if we can do web based reservations (can the
>>  patrons reserve materials)?
>
>Yep, so long as they have a valid library card number, or whatever sort of
>ID you are using.

So the patrons can search and reserve from their machine, without
having to call us....excellent!

>  > Can we reserve in advance (like reserve for next thursday, etc)?
>
>No, at least no way that I'm aware of.  This might be fairly easy to do as
>a customization for your library, however, using a separate MySQL table
>that holds the reserve information and the requested date and moves that
>info into Koha's reserve table at the appropriate time (using a script in
>cron, would be one way).  But there would still be no way of keeping
>someone else from borrowing the video in the meantime, meaning that it
>wouldn't be available when needed.  Hmmm...

Anyone doing anything of the sort that you are aware of?  Anyone that
might be able to implement it, even if on a contract basis?

>  > Can we group patrons?  We serve schools, and would like to view/send
>>  all the materials for school A, no matter who the patron is, all the
>>  materials for school B, etc.
>
>If I understand your question correctly, the answer is 'yes' -- put each
>group in a separate 'borrower category.'
>
>>  Our 'library' is about 6000 video tapes, no books, so slightly
>>  different setup.  All of them are in MARC records now under the Dynix
>>  system.  We want patrons to be able to search and reserve videos on
>>  their own that we then send out several times a week.
>
>Gawd, seems like Dynix is overkill for your needs (and I'm sure it's also
>killing your budget).  Looking at Koha sounds like a smart move!

Yea, it's *way* overkill, but part of the large consortium, the rest
of which are regular libraries.  But as Dynix is no longer going to
be supported, we have to switch anyway, and I can use that budget
money elsewhere ;)

As long as I can make Koha work do all we need it to....
--

Michael Richardson		REMC #1 Network Administrator
PO Box 270		CompTIA A+ certified