[Koha] Z3950 Searches Stopped Working

Ken & Brenda Voelker brenv at voelkerville.com
Sat Mar 20 18:47:21 NZDT 2004

Anyone have any hints for troubleshooting Z3950 searches?

I've been using Koha's MARC search function for many months, and have
retrieved MARC records for hundreds of books.  Then, it suddenly quit
working a couple of weeks ago.  Everything else works - all the rest of
Koha, my internet connection, etc.  If I use Ethereal to monitor the LAN
traffic, I can see my computer connecting to the Voyager server at Library
of Congress, getting an acknowledgement, sending the ISBN number, and then
getting a fairly short response.  Then the whole sequence repeats, every
five seconds or so, until I clear the search list.  This happens even with
ISBN's that have worked in the past.  I've made no significant changes to
the computer in this time frame, have rebooted numerous times, and even
downloaded the latest version of Net::Z3950.  I'm using Koha-1.2.3.

Anyway, I guess my next approach is to try and understand the bits being
sent/received during the Z3950 transaction, and see what my computer is
being told by LOC.  If anyone has any ideas for translating the protocol
PDU's back into plain English, (or other troubleshooting hints), I'd
appreciate hearing them.