[Koha] Z39.50client won't give up searching

Nigel Titley nigel at titley.com
Tue Jan 6 09:44:11 NZDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 16:27, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-01-05 15:37:24 +0000 paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > With the daemon, it's asynchronous, so you can have answers in 2
> > minuts.
> > that's the main reason of the daemon.
>
> How many Z39.50 servers do most people use? Is it impossible to write
> an asynchronous CGI? These are design questions, so please reply to
> -devel if you want.

I use three enabled by default, and up to 6 for difficult queries.

> > if you setup your webserver timeout low (something like 10 seconds)
> > the
> > daemon becomes mandatory.
>
> If you set your timeout that low, I think you are likely to have worse
> problems unless you have a fast machine. The CGI could just return
> whatever answers come back in <10 seconds. Is it reasonable to use the
> daemon by default just to give better support to odd setups?

I'm very happy with the daemon approach and I'd be very unhappy with
having to wait for a response for each query individually. I normally
type in queries for 5 - 10 books at a time, and then go back and enter
the returned values. This works very well for me. Of course I'm only
doing at the most 25 books per day, although I would have thought that
someone doing even more books would use a similar method.

I do find that if I haven't had a result back in 2 minutes or so from a
particular query, then it is unlikely that I'm going to get an answer
back at all.

Just my two penn'orth

Nigel
--