[Koha] Z39.50client won't give up searching

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Jan 6 04:37:24 NZDT 2004

MJ Ray a écrit :

> On 2004-01-05 14:29:47 +0000 paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> * automatically : I think in processqueue, we could use startdate to
>> calculate an expiry date : a request must not last more than 2
>> minuts. Maybe even less.
>
> One reason I was given for the daemon method was the long time that
> z39.50 searches can take. If we impose a 2 minute limit, there seems
> little reason not to use traditional CGI scripts. Maybe you meant some
> longer limit, like 20 minutes.
>
> How long will librarians actually wait for search results?

I think 2 minuts is enough.
But...
when you search 4 differents servers, if each request needs 2 minuts,
and is synchronous, you need 8 minuts to get an answer.
With the daemon, it's asynchronous, so you can have answers in 2 minuts.
that's the main reason of the daemon.

with another one imho :
if you setup your webserver timeout low (something like 10 seconds) the
daemon becomes mandatory.

--
Paul POULAIN