[Koha] Z39.50client wont give up searching

Nigel Titley nigel at titley.com
Thu Jan 1 10:39:31 NZDT 2004

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 23:41, baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca wrote:
> Tuesday, December 30, 2003    17:35 CST
>
> Hi, Edward,
>
> About your message, 2 points
>
> > [snip] (The only Z39.50 server I have is the default Library of
> > Congress one). [snip]
>
> You might also want to try registering for free Z39.50 access via the
> National Library of Canada's Amicus service. As many of the same books are
> published simultaneously in Canada and the U.S., you will find many good
> MARC21-compliant records in our national database, too. Plus, sometimes, it
> can be a little easier to access, and there is the possibility of batching
> records for download.
>
> Find out more at URL <http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/7/2/g2-400-e.html> .
> You will want to use the Amicus registered service; don't worry - it won't
> cost you anything, is usually set up in under 24 hours and they'll never
> bother you with anything more than a very occasional new
> services/upgrade/planned downtime notice.

This is an incredibly useful piece of information. Those of you who have
been on this list for a while may remember my fruitless attempts to find
a decent Z39.50 source for French books. I registered with the Amicus
service this evening, and suddenly I am finding my searches returning
with data...... many many thanks.

I have found that with the combination of the Library of Congress, the
National Library of Scotland, and Amicus, I am getting nearly 100% hit
rate for all my searches. This is speeding my data entry rate
considerably.

All the best for the New Year

Nigel
--