[Koha] Koha Newbie

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Fri Dec 12 12:47:32 NZDT 2003

Hi Doc,
What can we tell you about Koha?  Have you thought about what you want
from an automation system?  If you know what you're looking for, it
shouldn't take too long to work up a comparison of Koha today vs your
needs (and provide some ideas of what it would take to fill any gaps).

As far as using Koha at American Baptist College, I'm guessing from your
description that you're talking about a single library collection with
multiple extension centers each of which might house a portion of the
collection.  This fits very nicely with the model that Koha was originally
developed for (Koha will handle other models as well).  From a very high
level perspective, you'd have a server at your main location (or in a
campus data center), and use PCs with web browsers as client systems.
This would allow your patrons to access your OPAC from local PCs,
extension centers, or from their home over the internet if you wanted to
set it up that way.

Are you interested in supporting Koha internally (perhaps with a mix of
students and staff), or hiring out support?  There are certainly enough
resources on the mailing lists and websites to help train your staff if
you want to take it on yourself.  If you're looking to hire someone, there
are probably a number of people willing to take on a support contract as
well.

I hope this is a good start at answering your questions.  Please feel free
to ask for more specifics.

thanks,
-pate