[Koha] Koha in the news

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Sat Nov 8 01:33:49 NZDT 2003

On Friday 07 November 2003 17:06, you wrote:
> On 2003-11-07 01:55:19 +0000 Owen Leonard
>
> <oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us> wrote:
> > Part of 'Open Source Month' at WebJunction, an online publication of
> > OCLC
> > (Online Computer Library Center)
>
> Can someone with a personal contact at this publication help me,
> please? The article "What is Open Source Software?" contains many
> grave errors and misleading phrases. That is unusual, because the OSI

> "Open source software is free"
>
> Only if you mean free as in freedom. I sell some of my open/free
> software, thank you.
additionally, it is very clearly specified in the history of Koha that the
library (dont ask me to spell or pronounce the name) paid katipo to develop
koha and subsequently pays them to upgrade and support it - thinking that
opensource stuff is written as a charitable enterprise to earn indulgences in
the next life is an insult to the opensource community

> "Open source software technology is equal to or better than commercial
> software."
>
> Open/free software *is* commercial software sometimes.
and i would add that the distinction is between opensource and closed source
and not between commercial and non-commercial. Military sponsored software
for example could be closed source but non-commercial. And, if opensource
developers didnt make money, directly or indirectly from writing opensource
code, you wouldnt find much of it around.
my 2 paise
kg