[Koha] Data Conversion

Luke Ottrey luke at purplelion.net
Wed Oct 1 11:24:29 NZST 2003

Good Morning All,

Am after some kind words of advice from anyone who may know how to do
this.
On IRC, I spoke with Chris and asked the question, "Can I insert direct
into Koha's database for migration, or does it have to be MARC format?"
Chris' response implied that since v.1.3, that its not easy to insert
direct into MySQL with the information and that I should contact the
list as Paul may have some advice on either how to do it or, how I can
create MARC from the structure I have.

At the moment, I have tab delimetered file (as per attached (column
headings up the top), but with quite a few more records in the file :)).

Presently, I'm just seeking to get the library up by the end of the week
and superfluous data fields (cost, the 'extent' column, acquisition year
etc) are irrelevant if they'll be difficult to implement.

FYG, my plan is to send off MARC requests (we have a request and receive
type of system for MARC records from the Department of Education), put
them in the breeding farm for those records with ISBN's so we can get
some more information on the books than is currently stored in the
system.

If anyone has any ideas and or thoughts - or could be kind enough to
point me in the direction of either:
a.  How to import the data direct into the MySQL tables - which tables
and fields? (and I do have a pretty good knowledge of MySQL etc etc)
b)  How to create MARC from this data (limited knowledge of PERL, PHP
etc but willing to learn to make it happen)
Or, if anyone had the time to create the script required that would be
tops.

Thanks for your time and I'm really glad to be one of the people
supporting Koha in our Government education department (primary school)
as an Open Source alternative to the proprietary programs out there.
Photos and documentation of the implementation will be available once
completed :)

(BTW, currently running pre3, and will be putting pre4 on tonight)

Thanks/Best Regards,

Luke Ottrey, Purple Lion
Ph: 0408 675 648
Fax: +61 3 9886 7349