[Koha] huge isbn numbers on the way!

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 22:10:11 NZST 2003

On 2003-09-30 05:37:10 +0100 COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:

> <A
> HREF="http://publishersweekly.reviewsnews.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA325273&display=breakingNews&publication=publishersweekly">http://publishersweekly.reviewsnews.com/index.asp?layout=article&
> articleid=CA325273&display=breakingNews&publication=publishersweekly</A>

For those without browsers just now, it says that the Book Industry
Study Group calls for Bookland EAN barcodes to be used instead of the
12-digit ones and for ISBNs to become 13 digits, reporting
http://www.bisg.org/news/news_isbn_what.html

I am a little confused: I think the current Bookland EAN is basically
a 3-digit country code for "ISBN", the first 9 digits of the ISBN
(dropping the last check digit) and a different check digit, totalling
13 digits.  If ISBN itself becomes 13 digits, how will it be mapped
into the new 14-digit EAN barcode but still leave space for other
products?  10% of all barcodes for books?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef at jabber.at