[Koha] inconsistencies in acquisition.simple process

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Fri Sep 26 11:42:03 NZST 2003

> >But I think the form has been designed in a way so that it looks like
> >we'd need 3 biblios for the above example .. which is not right.
>
> That's where you have things wrong my friend. Beyond the MARC stuff, which
> I know is not your responsibility or interest, whatever library advice you
> are getting is WRONG.
>
> *** Three different items do require three different records. ***

Ahh, see this is where I think people confuse internal storage with external
representations.

> You have three different physical manifestations of a work, which, if we
> are still using AACR2R rules -- which are the standard for the anglophone
> library world ascribed to and endorsed by your National Library as well as
> those of the Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United State --
> the RULES require three different records.
>
> The biblio level that you all wisely created acts like an authority record,
> pulling together different manifestations of a work, because, God only
> knows what the patron might actually want. But you have to remember that
> that's all it should do then.
>
> As a pure matter of what is correct, 3 different types of item (book, DVD,
> large print book) require 3 different records, which would have slightly
> different data and different MARC coding. If you want to keep the biblio
> level, then work should begin on making that into the core of the
> AUTHORITIES for the system (used forms, cross-references, see also's etc.).

If I can export records in a format like that, and display them to the
librarian in a format like that. And input them from a format like that.

What does it matter how they are internally stored??

What I was talking about is how Koha stores the data .. I think if its
possible to create valid catalog records that correspond with standards,
then how we store the data internally doesnt matter.
Apart from the obvious storing it in a way that provides for fast access.
And minimal redundancy.

Perhaps I didnt make that clear enough in my message :) I was talking about
the internal structure.

Chris

027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz