[Koha] support for LC call numbers, authority cross-references?

rgrunloh at s4.library.arizona.edu rgrunloh at s4.library.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 10 05:35:59 NZST 2003

Hi all,

I'm very happy to see that a project like this exists. Here at the
University of Arizona Library, we have a librarian who is going to Kabul,
Afghanistan, to try to help them reopen (I think) their University
Library. She needs a small economical system to 'bootstrap' their
operation on no funds, and Koha looks like a wonderful contribution.

My role in this has only been to do a test install for her, and provide
some opensource software she can take with her on cd. We believe they have
some sort of PC that can run Linux, and an internet connection, and
someone who can install it.

But of course she has questions I've been unable to answer. The 2 most
pressing for her are, does Koha support using LC call numbers for the
collection, and does it support cross-references, ie some sort of
authority control?  I haven't been able to find evidence of them.

Has this been discussed before?

The third thing she would like to add, which would be in the distant
future, is farsi (Persian) language support.  We have some programming
staff here but her Afghanistan trip is not an official University project
at this point. Sometimes things like this can grow, of course ...

Thanks very much,

Robert Grunloh
Support Systems Analyst Sr.
University of Arizona Library