[Koha] Very small library, low-end hardware

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 22:13:40 NZST 2003

On 2003-09-03 10:46:06 +0100 paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> I've installed Koha on a Celeron 600, with 192MB RAM & 20GB HD.
> (server & client). The librarian finds it too slow. It's a problem
> with Perl
> compiling i think.

In the longer term, there are some tricks we can do to speed this up
(such as CGI::SpeedyCGI), but they will require very clean perl code
and a bug hunt.  I think we've enough on for now with 2.0.

That said, the machine above should be fast enough.  My development
system is only a K6/2 500.  Not so long ago I was running really heavy
perl on a 486... Perhaps some performance tuning would help?  I think
there are guides on http://httpd.apache.org/docs/ and
http://www.mysql.com/ in addition to the normal distribution guides.
A small, lean, server-orientated distribution would be a better choice
than Mandrake, for example, or maybe you should try a distribution
compiled from source with tuning options.  You can compensate for
hardware a bit by spending more time on configuration, but I still
wouldn't try current koha on less than a Pentium MMX.

Hope that helps,
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef at jabber.at