[Koha] Re: koha 1.2.3 still requiring constant login/authentification

Matthias & Melanie Kasimir <wahr at epost.de> genesis at gmx.net
Fri Aug 22 04:02:32 NZST 2003

Hi Chris,

I do very much appreciate your help. Since I am new to koha (just had
it installed for us), it will take some time for me to chew on your
answer. You can be sure that I will try it and report as to the
effect of any changes I make.

Does it make sense to wait and install koha 2.0.x once it is out?
Or will it be as difficult as installing 1.2.3, so I should stick to
what is already installed? Or is it easy normally an I just screwed
up and made it more complicated  than it is? I did not expect a point-
and-click installation, but something like extract *.tgz and run
configure-script, then make and make-install and go.

One other thing to consider is, wether the migration of data entered
in 1.2.3 to 2.0.x will be straightforward for unxeperienced users. If
not, we better refrain from entering any data and wait till 2.0.x.

> Koha will check for basic http authentication as well as for a cookie.
> So you can set up http authentication anyway you like.

Aha?

1) This still seems not to explain why koha does not accept one
authentification in one session.

2) Or does it explain, because my browsers reject koha's cookie in
some way unknown to me, although it is configured to accept cookies.

3) Or is the cookie not sent to the browser in the first place?

> What we do at HLT is use Apache::AuthDBI to authenticate against
> table in the koha database. Heres the code in the httpd.conf

Can I just paste the code into httpd.conf and expect it to work?

> Koha is set up to work with cookies, or with http authentication, it
> was set up that way on purpose so that those who dont want to use
> cookies dont have to. Cookies are useful because you can implement a
> logout. Whereas with http authentication, the browser caches the users
> username and password, and you need to quit the browser to get it to
> forget. Which is fine for librarians computers, and for home users
> using the opac, but for the opac machines in the library, its good for
> the users to be able to log themselves out.

Good to have the options!

Btw: Does koha generate barcodes for printout on labels or do I need
a special program to do this?

Greetings from northern Germany,

Matthias

Wollt Ihr weiterhin die Kontrolle über Euren Rechner haben?
Dann wehrt Euch und boykottiert Produkte der TCPA-Mitglieder!
Info zur "Treacherous Computing Platform Alliance":
http://www.againsttcpa.com/

http://kasimir.org/