[Koha] error installing Date::Manip

Erik Stainsby erik.stainsby at modern-alchemy.net
Tue Aug 12 09:07:50 NZST 2003

Mr. M. Aftabuddin,

You are correct as MJ Ray has indicated:  RedHat 8.0 and 9.0 have been
configured to use UTF-8 aware locales.
However many (most?) perl modules available on CPAN and elsewhere are not yet
updated to use the perl 5.8.0 UTF-8 locales.

To accomplish the install of some non-UTF-8 locales, you must override the
UTF-8 locale.  Date::Manip is one of many packages which requires this.
I have had success by resetting the LANG= environment variable and have also
occassionally used the LC_ALL= environment variable.

You can override the locale permanently (NOT advised) or temporarily.

Open a terminal window and enter the command MJ Ray suggested:
[library at ibm2 library]# export LC_ALL=C

You can then proceed to run cpan and install non-UTF-8 packages.
When you log out of the terminal session the LC_ALL= variable will be reset to
the system default as per your original installation choices.

The underlying problem, which you asked about is that it is a problem of all
three parties: RedHat, Date::Manip, and perl in general.  A problem of
synchronization of code between evolving generations.  It is a growing pain.
Time will correct this eventually.  For now we must correct it ourselves as
occasions arise.

Mark,
Perhaps a check for this sort of case could add a note to the missing packages
information that is printed to terminal in the install script?   Are you
maintaining this script now?

HTH,
Erik
--