[Koha] ANNOUNCE: Koha perl dependency RPMs for Red Hat 9

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Tue Jun 24 08:09:10 NZST 2003

MJ Ray wrote:
> Paul Gear <paul at gear.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>>I never have understood, and still don't understand, why people
>>think typing 'rpm -Uvh packagename' is hard.
>

> Because you have to find packagename's rpm first.  Debian doesn't
> normally need you to do that.

(We probably should take this to a more appropriate forum...)

Haven't we already covered this ground?  What do you do for software
that's not part of the Debian project?  You have to go find it just
like you do for RPMs.  Is Koha part of the Debian project yet?
Evidently not:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=koha&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

What do people do in the meantime?

> [...]
>
>>What other way is there?  Users don't compile, users install.  The
>>FreeBSD/Gentoo philosophy of making every end user a build engineer
>>is ludicrous, in my opinion.  I started programming in C over 15
>>years ago, but i am not the slightest bit interested in recompiling
>>[...]
>
> Similarly, you're probably not the slightest bit interested in
> whether it recompiles as you install it, so I've never understood
> that argument.

Yes, i am, actually.  I don't want time spent on doing work that's
already been done.  There are also other good arguments for *not*
recompiling the software on every system system its installed on -
witness the recent GCC security advisory.  (I'm not sure why this is
an issue for discussion, since Debian provides precompiled packages as
well, doesn't it?)

>>[...] So the software was not a good fit for my environment and i
>>decided not to use it, because sticking with the distribution i know
>>means saved time and headaches.
>
> Please learn useful standards like Linux Standard Base instead of a
> particular distribution if you are a sysadmin.

Every distribution has *something* different about it.  How is LSB
going to help me know how to control the ethernet module assignments
in modules.conf?

(P.S.  Please let me be the judge of what's useful to me... :-)

> [...]
>
>>next few weeks/months.  I think it might require some adjustments to
>>the installer, but i'm sure the Koha team will be willing to accept
>>patches.  :-)
>

> Please.  I'd appreciate you participating on koha-devel while doing
> this.  I'll probably not be at this week's devel IRC meeting
> (because I'm at the Birmingham Linux User Expo) but you can always
> contact me otherwise.

OK

>>P.S.  Are my packages going to be put on sourceforge?  Don't i
>>deserve my millisecond of glory?  :-)
>
> Have you GPG signed them?

Have you looked at them?  :-)

enoch:[/share/rpm/RPMS/noarch]rpm --checksig perl-*
perl-Event-0.87-1.noarch.rpm: (sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK
perl-HTML-Template-2.6-1.noarch.rpm: (sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK
perl-MARC-Record-1.29-1.noarch.rpm: (sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK
perl-Mail-Sendmail-0.79-1.noarch.rpm: (sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK
perl-Net-Z3950-0.34-1.noarch.rpm: (sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK

Paul
http://paulgear.webhop.net