[Koha] ANNOUNCE: Koha perl dependency RPMs for Red Hat 9

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Tue Jun 24 03:26:55 NZST 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, MJ Ray wrote:
> Paul Gear <paul at gear.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > I never have understood, and still don't understand, why people think
> > typing 'rpm -Uvh packagename' is hard.
>
> Because you have to find packagename's rpm first.  Debian doesn't normally
> need you to do that.

apt-get is available for RPM also and does wonderful things just like on
debian, but no one has yet built the humongous library of interworking
packages the way the legion of debian package maintainers has.

Speaking koha-specifically, someone with the time to maintain such a thing
could setup an aptrpm repository somewhere.  Please, please, please.  :)
http://freshrpms.net/ explains how to do it.

> > [...] So the software was not a good fit for my
> > environment and i decided not to use it, because sticking with the
> > distribution i know means saved time and headaches.
>
> Please learn useful standards like Linux Standard Base instead of a
> particular distribution if you are a sysadmin.

The LSB is wonderful as far as it goes and most of it seems natural to any
Linux admin, but the LSB will never cover the mass of knowledge that will
continue to be very vendor/distro-specific.  For instance, "these are the
stable RH releases".  These are the debian kernel releases to avoid.  And
so on.  Minimizing the number of unknowns is a good strategy as long you
don't become stuck in one distro/vendor and never get any perspective.

--
</chris>

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It
will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)