[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] Re: DDC and LC classification - 2 cents more

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Wed Jun 18 15:08:32 NZST 2003

Yes, any real marc or later record should have it, but what I was trying to
stress (and yes I am starting to get stressed)! You have to have koha have the
ability to use that information for those of us in the  upper educational and
scientific community AND NOT HAVE IT SHOWING DEWEY!

This must be an easy to  change option for the library involved that should
be selectable at startup/install time.

The library that is to use the software should not have to write any scripts,
recode something, or go to any other effort than to indicate during install
if they wish Dewey or lc.

Ed!

> Subj:[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] Re: DDC and LC classification - 2 cents more
> Date:6/17/2003 5:56:21 PM US Mountain Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:albert.p.calame at sympatico.ca">albert.p.calame at sympatico.ca</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:koha at lists.katipo.co.nz">koha at lists.katipo.co.nz</A>, <A HREF="mailto:koha-devel at lists.sourceforge.net">koha-devel at lists.sourceforge.net</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Hi All!
>     We may be missing the point with this discussion. Firstly, while DDC
> uses mostly a single Classification Number that could fit on a single line
> (There are a few cases, as with Shakespeare, where an additional line with a
> special additional code is used to bring out a specific play), a Call Number
> is not equal to a Classification Number. The Call Number on a book or other
> item is intended to assist in the location of items where they have been
> stored (typically books on shelves), however the Classification Number is
> just a part of the whole Call Number.  As Steven mentions below, most
> libraries add prefixes to indicate shelving locations and add an additional
> line to indicate the Author or Biographee.  The Dewey Number can vary in
> length from 2 to probably 20 characters, and in such cases, often the number
> will be split between more than one line (average spine labels are only
> about 10 characters wide).
>
>     In the case of LC Classification, Call numbers usually have 4 lines -
> two for Classification, one for Date (the three Steven has below) and most
> often a line for Cutter Number (a code for Author similar in function to the
> Dewey Author line).  Here, too, there may be a prefix to make up the entire
> Call Number.
>
>     In both cases, the classification number tries to group materials on
> like subjects together so that they are easier to locate.
>
>     I _don't_ see, however, the need within koha to give the older non-MARC
> data structure the additional structures needed to store LC Call Numbers,
> when any of the MARC structures can do so very well - indeed the required
> subfields are already in place. I would be surprised if a library that is
> using LC Classification would want to establish their database in other than
> MARC structure, especially when we realize that the source of records that
> the typical academic and scientific libraries that use LC would use to build
> their catalogues are most likely to be in MARC structure to start with. Why
> convert the data to a new structure when koha will store it in the original
> structure to start with?
>
>     I understand that some librarians may not particularly care to use MARC,
> I used to be one of them! But it is the de facto standard for the exchange
> of bibliographic data. It does have all the fields and subfields already
> defined to do the job for us. It has built-in flexibility to meet any
> [...]

Thanks Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC

See the Museum's Web Site at

www.smecc.org

We are always looking for items to add to the museum's display and ref.
library
please advise if you have anything we can use.

mail:

Coury House / SMECC
5802 W. Palmaire Ave.
Glendale Az 85301  USA

623-435-1522

CONFIDENZIALE: Questo messaggio e gli eventuali allegati sono confidenziali
e riservati. Se vi è stato recapitato per errore e non siete fra i
destinatari elencati, siete pregati di darne immediatamente avviso al
mittente. Le informazioni contenute non devono essere mostrate ad altri, né
utilizzate, memorizzate o copiate in qualsiasi forma.

CONFIDENTIAL: This  e-mail  and  any attachments are confidential and may
contain reserved information. If  you are not one of the named recipients,
please notify the sender immediately. Moreover, you should not disclose the
contents to any other persons, nor should the information contained be used
for any purpose or stored or copied in any form.