[Koha] Open Source or Free Software?

Joshua Ferraro jferraro at alma.athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Thu Apr 17 12:03:54 NZST 2003

Hi All:
Koha is often referred to as an "open source" project (definition at http://www.opensource.org/osd.html. Do we also characterize it as "free software" (definition at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)?  I know that in practice, nearly all software meeting one definition also meets the other, I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the distinction.
To my mind, there are advantages to both terms.  "Open source" is more widely known (at least around here) and expresses the "openness" of the code.  "Free software" (as in free speech) comes closer to the library concept of free access to information; it also (conveniently) covers the monetary aspect of things (after all, the software is available at no cost).
Joshua