[Koha] Testers Needed - about Unit Testing

Erik Stainsby erik.stainsby at modern-alchemy.net
Fri Mar 28 16:31:54 NZST 2003

Hi Ingrid,

I would be interested in hearing more about the code-writing requirements for
unit testing.  I am a professional web and database technician, and as such
work daily in perl and create a lot of original code in the process.  You
can't always "borrow" what you need ... 8-)

In the process of my work I tend to create drafts of functions in the script I
am working on and as soon as I see a need to re-use it, promote it into a
library package, centralizing and optimizing and basically following Larry
Wall's Principle of Laziness.

My code is generally sprinkled with
	eval{ }; if( $@ ){ };
block pairs.  I have an affection for Java (my other language of choice), and
the eval{}; blocks most nearly approximate the try-catch structures required
in Java.

But these are generally "in-line" error control-correction approaches.  Unit
testing implies to mind code which programmaticaly attacks existing drafts of
code and gives them a good "shake down".  Is this more in the nature of the
approach you mean to describe?

I guess what I am asking for is a brief essay on "unit testing" per se, and a
bit about what your approach to implementing and establishing such for Koha
will entail.

And not to leave you hanging too long, I *am* interested in doing some of the
work.  It would be nice to have a clear idea of what that wil be.

cheers,
Erik

--
Erik Stainsby