[Koha] How to set up a new staff member - including how to access the intranet

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Fri Mar 28 10:33:28 NZST 2003

Hi - this is obviously causing a few headaches for people - so I thought I'd
send this to the whole list :-)

BACKGROUND
To access the Intranet (librarian view) you need a username and password.  The
first person needs the MYSQL username and password, and then they can make new
users (staff).

Unfortunatly, the staff authentication module basically came in on the back of
the general members (OPAC) authentication module, so to be blunt, it's a bit
confusing, definitly not intuative, and hopefully might be improved for the
next release.

OK HERE WE GO

To make another "Librarian".

You will need to be logged in with your superuser password - not just the first
time, but every time.

You add new librarians through the "add member" process.  From Koha's point of
View, a librarian is just a member with some different privliges, but we don't
make it clear enough that you add a staff person the same way.

Start from the member search page that looks like

http://hlt.katipo.co.nz/members/

Type the name of your staff member in the search box (even though they may not
be there yet).

You should get a page like

http://hlt.katipo.co.nz/cgi-bin/koha/member.pl

You should see the option to add a new member.

 Add a new adult member.

You should be able to change them to being a "worker"

And I think (although am not sure) that you can add their username and password
there.

Submit that form

Apparently on your "add a new member" screen, you won't get the option to give
them access to the intranet.

To do that, you submit that form.

Then go back to the member page, search for them (YES AGAIN)

When they come up in the list, click on their name to modify their record

and then all the options you need should show up

Good Luck

Cheers
Rachel

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
WEBMISTRESS                          ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz              New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org