[Koha] Using MARC::Record to insert MARC data into MySQL tables

Larry Stamm lstamm at mis-2002.net
Tue Mar 11 19:15:30 NZDT 2003

Larry Currie <lcurrie at CalAcademy.Org> writes:

     > I hoping that within a couple of days we will have the item data
     > for our collections loaded into the 945, 946, and 949 fields of
     > our MARC records, and then we would like to run a Perl script
     > which will go through each of our MARC records and extract and
     > insert into the Koha MySQL tables biblio, biblioitems, and items
     > all of the data needed to run version 1.9.0.  Has anyone
     > developed such a script at this point or give me an idea of what
     > the commands would look like to accomplish this?

Not being a perl hacker, I am writing a bash shell script that calls gawk
and the MARC RTP program to create input files for mysql, then calls
mysql to load these files into the proper Koha database tables. It's not
in a finished form yet, but is working well for us. I'd be happy to
share it with you if you want.

Our library is migrating from the Sagebrush Athena software to Koha,
btw.  I hope to get the script to the state where it will take all the
borrower and circulation data from Athena and load it into Koha
automatically.  The data has to be extracted into dbase files manually
first from Athena.

--
Larry Stamm, Chair
McBride and District Public Library