[Koha] Open Source Book

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Sat Feb 22 13:15:59 NZDT 2003

Hi

> If there is anyone on this list who is involved with the development of Koha,
> and would like to write a description of the Koha project as a case study in
> open source development and cooperation in government I would very much
> appreicate it.

I'm not sure if this will affect things, but the Horowhenua Libraries are a
Trust, which I guess means that technically they are not "government".

I don't think this invalidates koha as an example of open source development,
but I'm not sure it counts as "cooperation in government".

I don't want to speak for the library (who are more than able to speak for
themselves), but I believe a big part of why they were able to undertake this
project is because they are no longer a Council department.

If you want to find out more about how the politics of organisation structure
impact on decision making, drop rosalie blake a line - rosalie at library.org.nz,
I'm sure she'd be happy to explain their setup.

Being part of Council has seemed to be a blocker for other libraries taking up
Koha.

Cheers
Rachel

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
WEBMISTRESS                          ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz              New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org