[Koha] :-( and conclusion with cataloguing and acquisition th read

Bigwood, David Bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Sat Jan 25 04:19:38 NZDT 2003

I also would like to be able to add items without barcodes. We create
analytics for special issues of journals, these have no barcode but provide
important access to materials.

For example, the journal Icarus has a special issue on the proceedings of a
conference. That issue will be bound with other issues, so that particular
issue will not have a barcode, the volume will. There may be several special
issues in a volume, so we can not just use the barcode from the volume,
unless we duplicate the barcodes for each record. And duplication of
barcodes will not work since we might have to wait a year or more to get all
the issues of the volume to bind. We could not guess what barcode would be
used sometime in the future.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Cataloging news: http://www.catalogablog.blogspot.com

>        3. The ability to add items without a barcode. so that barcodes
>        don't have to be set aside for books that have not yet arrived.
>        (This may already exist but I'm not aware of it.  This would be
>        of greater importance if acquisitions was in xhtml and there was
>        a chance that someone would add a book from their cell phone.
>        But others might find it useful.

strange thing indeed. Does someone else have something like this ?
Don't you misunderstood what means : "patrons should be able to find
biblios without items in the opac, to see that the book will arrive soon
", as i think it's what you ask for ?

--
Paul POULAIN