[Koha] :-( and conclusion with cataloguing and acquisition thread

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Jan 24 23:31:15 NZDT 2003

Hi everybody,
Here is Paul, from the old Europe ;-)

i just spended 20mn to read all those answers to my request, and I'm not
happy because what i've read is NOT RELATED to my question.

1st : my question was a LIBRARIAN question. And i think almost all
answers are related to DEVELOPPERS problems !
2nd : my question was to imagine a solution to get the best possible
acquisition and cataloguing process ! not to do a code -or db-
revolution in koha !

and what are you speaking about ? DB normalization, and other
-interesting but not in the scope- question.

The most interesting thought, imho, comes from Stephen, from NPL (which
funded MARC support, so, is always right :-) )

I think that a strong acquisition component would be a very valuable asset for
Koha.  In fact, I think acquisitions are much more important than cataloging.
That means that I support your idea of separating the two, so it would be
easier (to my mind) to focus development effort on acquisitions. If they are
not separated, then I think cataloging should at least be handled as a sub-task
of acquisitions.

Incidentally, this is my opinion too :-)

So, my proposal for acquisition and cataloguing is the following :
*ACQUISITION*
During acquisition,  you define as few datas as possible. You can define
less than ISBN, title, author and editor if you want. The acquisition
part does NOT deals with marc (ie : from a librarian point of vue. the
mySQL DB is something else !).
when the book is recieved, the librarian will note this in the
acquisition part of koha, then, will automatically reach the cataloguing
chapter
This WILL be in the 2.0, it's almost the normal acquisition of the 1.2.
this acquisition process will be the same wether MARC or non-MARC.

Acquisition in a future will also get :
- suggestions

*CATALOGUING*
- The library can use MARC or non MARC cataloguing.
- The cataloguing can be called after an acquisition, or as a specific
and single task
- The cataloguing means : entering biblio and entering items.

All those will be in the 2.0. It's part from acqui.simple in MARC for
MARC, and part from normal acquisition of the 1.2

cataloguing in a future version will also get :
- z39.50 support
- import of "commercial" MARC cdroms like "electre" or "Rameau", in France.

I think that everybody agrees to say that books that will arrive soon in
the library can be shown on opac or catalogue search part of koha, with
a specific flag. So, that will be done too.

I hope that at least every LIBRARIAN will be happy with those proposals.

--
Paul POULAIN