[Koha] some thoughts about cataloguing and acquisition (important)

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri Jan 24 02:04:13 NZDT 2003

Mandi! Christopher Hicks
  In chel di` si favelave...

> database directly.  But in most practical systems some degree of
> denormalization is necessary for effeciency.

There's ever time for dirty tricks, and i'm seriously convinced that
with a well written schema in normal (normalized?!) form all things can
be done with no big penalties (or better, with low speed penalties
compared to overral stability benefit ;).

> production.  Financial environments and other places where there's plenty
> of money to throw at hardware for the database often run production
> systems with referential integrity cut on, but that's the opposite of most
> libraries I'm familiar with.

Oh, my organization use JDE OW as a business/ERP/CRM software, and there's
no referential integrity at all.

Worst practice tipically doesn't need examples. ;)

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

			  Difendiamo PeaceLink!
     Campagna di solidarietà per la tutela legale di una voce scomoda.
		   http://www.peacelink.it/emergenza/