[Koha] MySQL and foreign keys

Joshua Brindle JBrindle at snu.edu
Fri Jan 17 04:12:49 NZDT 2003

This goes along with my other email about modularizing authentication.
My feeling is that most of koha is sort of embedded, like auth the
storage should be modularized, like this

there should be a wrapper with default methods that do something a
default way, one of those would be search. the mysql search would use
mysql features (ie: full text search), a postgres search would do
whatever they do. basically you'd have custom queries for each DBM since
each method that does the querying would be DBM specific. Only the
parent class would hold static variables and things that would be
consistant across all the DBM's. If done this way storage is trivial,
one could store everything in flat text files if they wanted!.

I must emphasize that this is the *correct* way to program things like
this, and if we (my university) decides to use Koha I will certainly
help wherever i can.

Joshua Brindle
UNIX Administrator
Southern Nazarene University

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:02:43AM +0100, paul POULAIN said:
> Chris Cormack a ?crit:
>
> >Hi There
> >
> >Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, i dont see using mysql fulltext
> >searching
> >as ruling out db independence.
> >It just forces us to code more carefully, perhaps setting a value in

> >/etc/koha.conf usefulltext=yes or the like. Which we can then use to

> >decide
> >whether to make a standard like search, or to use a fulltext index.

> BUT : the standard like search is UNUSEABLE on a 50 000+ biblio DB,
as
> every search means a full parsing of the table.
> If you add the same thing for the thesaurus table, which is widely
used
> in marc cataloguing, and some other place where full text indexing
will
> be usefull...

Hi Again paul :)

Well maybe not 50,000 .. but 500,000+ ... its working ok for HLT's
78709
biblios.
But I take your point, and agree wholeheartedly the current search code

badly needs a rewrite and lots of optimisation.
And im sure HLT wouldnt say no to any speed increase :-)

I think what i was trying to say (bear in mind its getting late here,
and my
mind is probably muddled :-)) was that we should be able to provide the

option for other people to use a database of their choice. Without
restricting those who want to from using mysql fulltext indexing.

On the topic of fulltext searching we had a discussion about it on irc
today.
I cant currently get to the irc logs but when i can, ill mark the
discussion
and post the url to the devel list.

Chris
--