[Koha] MySQL and foreign keys

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Thu Jan 16 23:10:43 NZDT 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:02:43AM +0100, paul POULAIN said:
> Chris Cormack a ?crit:
>
> >Hi There
> >
> >Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, i dont see using mysql fulltext
> >searching
> >as ruling out db independence.
> >It just forces us to code more carefully, perhaps setting a value in
> >/etc/koha.conf usefulltext=yes  or the like. Which we can then use to
> >decide
> >whether to make a standard like search, or to use a fulltext index.
> >
> BUT : the standard like search is UNUSEABLE on a 50 000+ biblio DB, as
> every search means a full parsing of the table.
> If you add the same thing for the thesaurus table, which is widely used
> in marc cataloguing, and some other place where full text indexing will
> be usefull...

Hi Again paul :)

Well maybe not 50,000 .. but 500,000+ ... its working ok for HLT's 78709
biblios.
But I take your point, and agree wholeheartedly the current search code
badly needs a rewrite and lots of optimisation.
And im sure HLT wouldnt say no to any speed increase :-)

I think what i was trying to say (bear in mind its getting late here, and my
mind is probably muddled :-)) was that we should be able to provide the
option for other people to use a database of their choice. Without
restricting those who want to from using mysql fulltext indexing.

On the topic of fulltext searching we had a discussion about it on irc today.
I cant currently get to the irc logs but when i can, ill mark the discussion
and post the url to the devel list.

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz