[Koha] MySQL and foreign keys

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Thu Jan 16 22:54:37 NZDT 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:40:39AM +0100, paul POULAIN said:
> Marco Gaiarin a ?crit:
>
> >I hope that koha will be, sooner or later, a full db-indipendent
> >project, so i can use my favourite DBMS, Postgres, but at the same
> >time, and with more strenght ;), the DB schema have to be rewritten to
> >be fully normalized and relational.
> >[could just be this, i've simple not seen FOREIGN KEY statement in .sql
> >file, i don't want to flame ;) ]
> >
> i've bad news for you Marco...
>
> we have decided recently to go ... to a deepest mySQL dependency.
> mySQL has a feature that doesn't exist in ANSI-SQL92 : full-text indexing.
> It's a VERY usefull feature to seach into a biblio : you search "sun
> moon" and the db auto-search for title that could correspond. It's a
> VERY complicated thing to do manually *and* with indexed search.
> (see : http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Search.html)

Hi There

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, i dont see using mysql fulltext searching
as ruling out db independence.
It just forces us to code more carefully, perhaps setting a value in
/etc/koha.conf usefulltext=yes  or the like. Which we can then use to decide
whether to make a standard like search, or to use a fulltext index.

I think database independence is a laudible aim, but id hate to see it rule
out potential optimisations also. There is a always a tradeoff and its a
matter of balance.

Chris

025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz