[Koha] MySQL and foreign keys

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Thu Jan 16 22:46:36 NZDT 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:55:16AM +0100, paul POULAIN said:
> >Can anyone on the Koha list comment on this assertion and what the
> >consequences might be for Koha?
> >
> You're all of you completly right : mySQL 3 completly fails to be an
> ACID database. In fact, some person (like me), thinks and say mySQL
> should'nt be called "relational database", but "indexed file manager".
> But most people don't like to hear that :-)
>
> The consequence is that koha must handle the code to insure the
> consistency and the referential integrity.
>
> There are other problems with mySQL : it does not handle transactions,
> nor stored procedures, and many more things.

Paul is of course talking bout MySQL 3 here, not the upcoming 4 release
which does indeed handle all of the above.

But im not about to get into a religious war about database engines, suffice
to say, if it works lets use it. And MySQL is working admirably at the moment.

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz