[Koha] Re: [Koha-devel] 1.3.x roadmap

baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 3 17:40:44 NZDT 2002

Monday, December 2, 2002    22:35 CST

Paul, etal.

Regarding the planned/hopeful addition to Koha of what we in the library
world might call a MARC editor (the ability to view bibliographic and
authority records in MARC tagged format and add/modify records in MARC
tagged format), I was wondering if anybody took a look at the free MARC
editor available from Terry Reese from Oregon State U (via URL
<http://www.onid.orst.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/>) listed on the LC page on
MARC records, Systems, and Tools (URL
<http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/marctools.html>) as a prototype?

Since I am a complete neophyte, please excuse if this has already been done
and rejected, or is impracticable because of its base in MS COM arch. Reese
does claim that users can "access the functionality of the MarcEngine
through numerous scripting or programming languages ..." At the very least,
it is a handy free editor.

Anyway, I hope this may help. There are a number of other useful tools
available on the LC page that Koha users might want to be aware of. I've
visited the page fairly regularly over 5 years now: it is fairly stable and
continues to grow.

Bon courage!

Amitiés,
Steven F. Baljkas