[Koha] System preferences: template

Tonnesen Steve tonnesen at cmsd.bc.ca
Thu Oct 31 06:12:16 NZDT 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Owen Leonard wrote:

> I should remember this, because Chris probably told me just yesterday:  When
> you change the default template via the system preferences interface in the
> intranet, how does it remember your choice?  Does it set a cookie? Or is it
> some kind of session variable (which I know from ColdFusion and PHP)?

The variable as set is stored in the systempreferences table and is
applied globally to all users of Koha, not just a local user.  We've had
some talk of having user-selectable templates, but we aren't at that point
yet.

> I ask because I'm trying to mess with the templates: I copied the
> /usr/local/koha/opac/htdocs/default folder, renamed it to 'npl,' and made some
> changes.  But when I go into system preferences and specify 'npl' as the
> template, I don't see the changes.

Unless you are planning on modifying every template in the default folder,
you're better off only copying those templates that you actually modify
into your new npl folder.  That way, when Koha gets upgraded, you won't be
stuck with old templates that you didn't modify anyway.  Koha will pick
templates out of the npl directory if they exist, otherwise it will grab
them out of the default directory.

Steve.