[Koha] latest on PostgreSQL

Ervin Peters ervin.peters at ervnet.de
Mon Oct 7 21:48:39 NZDT 2002

Hallo !

I'm not really involved in Koha developing yet, but I downloaded Koha 1.2.2
in August and got it run on postgres to about 90%.
I've done this to get familiar with Perl, dbs + www and so on...
There are many things to do to get the whole System work on postgres, or
better: work Database independent.
The basic SQL Database Script contains MySQL specific SQL, but can be
easily converted to pgsql by mysql2pgsql.
The updatedb and the web scripts are more problematic, since they embed
many mysql specific. I went through that script, convert on the fly the sql
terms an typed it in pgsql. You could say, I updated the db by hand.
The next problems are the 'replace into' statments found in many scripts,
they must be changed into if 'select [pkey] from ...'  then 'update ...'
else 'insert into ...' construction like it is done in some module
functions.
If I would find the time, I'd like to specify it more detailled, later on.
But i think we should better discuss either to get it db- independent by
using only Ansi SQL or to specify the dbs in koha.conf, like 'dbs =
[mysql|pgsql|oracle|sap|ansiSQL]'
Then any code can contain 'optimizations' for dbs by check the
configuration:
if dbs==mysql  then 'replace into..' else if 'select ...from...' then
'update ...' else 'insert...'

Another possibility would be to move all dbs code in one modul and change
this modul by selecting the dbs...

ervin
Weimar, Germany

--On Montag, 7. Oktober 2002 16:04 +1300 Richard Davis
<RichardD at pcanz.org.nz> wrote:

> I read in the archives of June/July that some work was being done of
> making koha work with postgres. What progress has been made?
>

> Richard Davis
> Communications Advisor and Webmaster
> Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand
> PO Box 9049, Wellington, Aotearoa New Zealand
> Direct: +64 4 381 8285 Mobile: 027 404 8656
> Phone: +64 4 801 6000 Fax: +64 4 801 6001
> http://www.presbyterian.org.nz/

Ervin Peters
99423 Weimar