[Koha] Koha newbie question

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Sun Sep 22 15:31:45 NZST 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Randy Edwards wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
>     I've got a question about Koha versus LearningAccess ILS.  Exactly what is
> the difference between the two systems?  I've read the Koha FAQ and have
> browsed through the LearningAccess web site looking for things.  However, I
> can't detect any differences nor reason for the fork; can anyone fill me in?

I'm not sure why, and I'm probably biased, but here are what I see as the
differences:

Koha was written in Perl, the ILS (then OpenBook) guys wanted a PHP
solution so they started at it.  The other big differences (to me) are
that:
  Koha is run in a very open fashion, for example our CVS tree is
  publicly accessible and we run several public mailing lists to discuss
  Koha (and questions like this).

  We have code in production use around the world, I *think* the ILS
  stuff is in private beta at some libraries, but I can't get any answers
  out of LearningAccess.

I hope that this is helpfule.  (I also hope that it isn't inflammatory ...
I'd love to know more about LearningAccess, and to find ways that we can
collaborate.)

happy hacking,
-pate

> --
>   Regards,                | Need some help with Debian GNU/Linux?
>   Randy                   | Look no further than <http://debianhelp.org>
>   (redwards at golgotha.net) |

Pat Eyler
Kaitiaki/manager               migrant Linux sys admin
the Koha project               ruby, shell, and perl geek
http://www.koha.org            http://pate.eylerfamily.org

pate at gnu.org
kaitiaki at koha.org