[Koha] Koha on OS X

Rob Levandowski robl at macwhiz.com
Sun Sep 1 07:36:02 NZST 2002

I searched the archives and didn't find any record of Mac OS X being
discussed, so I thought I'd share...

I'm using Koha on Mac OS X to manage my personal book collection.  I
initially built it under Mac OS X 10.1.5.  It ran fine under that
version with the exception of the command-line client.  In that version
of Mac OS X, the curses library was broken (to put it mildly) and
therefore the required Perl modules wouldn't compile.

Now that OS X 10.2 is out, it appears that the curses library has been
fixed, and I think I can get the command line working.  I just haven't
put the time into it yet, as the web interface meets my needs well.

On a Power Macintosh G4 (dual 500MHz CPUs) with 512MB RAM, running OS X
10.2, Koha seems very responsive and doesn't appear to load the system
much.  This Mac is my main personal computer, so it's usually doing
lots of other things too.

I'm using a precompiled version of MySQL 3.23.49, and the Apache
installation that comes with Mac OS X (aka "Web Sharing").  Nothing
particularly special was required to get Koha working, other than
adjusting the httpd.conf file keeping Apple's NeXT-like directory
structure in mind.

I don't have the wherewithal to do serious load testing on the setup,
but based on how well the system performs other tasks, I'd bet that an
Xserve (Apple's new rackmount Mac server) would make a very nice Koha
server.

--
Rob Levandowski
robl at macwhiz.com