[Koha] File definitions and Process - Checked by Vexira DEMO version -

Dorian Meid dnmeid at tfh-berlin.de
Fri Aug 16 02:02:27 NZST 2002

Lauren Miller schrieb:

> In other words did you sit down and go through file printouts of each database
> and fit the puzzle together?
Certainly not.

> Did you actually electronically dump the original
> database into KOHA and looked @ the results of what was missing? Or did you use
> another process.
We are running Koha at the moment in "Alpha-status".
That means the plain script with about 20 test-items, I added manually
(with special characters and so on).
When Koha seems to me to satisfy my needs, we'll switch over to
"beta-status".
That means our old database (flatfile) will be migrated to Koha. Since
I'm familiar with programming (I wrote our old opac myself), I see no
problem in filling the SQL-Tables (this is the place where Koha stores
it's data).

To put it in a nutshell:
The changeover will be no problem if the old data is in a very simple
format (or in marc-format of course).
When you are storing more information then Koha supports at the moment,
feel free to make a feature-request.

> Also, if you look at the index of all the KOHA files, for example --
> branchtransfers--what is branchtransfers--what does that mean? There are many
> file names that we don't know what they mean--therefore we don't know if that
> file is important to us.
One of Koha's advantages is to handel a distributet library system with
several local branches.
When a user requests a book, which is held in a different branch than he
requests it, it has to be transferred to the requesting branch.
If you are not in a library network, you won't need this feature
(nevertheless you shouldn't delete any files)

Dorian